What to do if you get a DWI in Texas

So you decided to get behind the wheel after drinking at a bar. You regretted that decision when a cop pulled you over for swerving from side to side in your lane. Here’s what you do when this happens. This offense is often called a DWI, or Driving While Intoxicated. There is also another charge called DUI, but this is about the DWI exclusively. ¬†If you find yourself in this situation, you should contact a Fort Worth¬†Criminal Justic Attorney

First, Be polite to the officer and show respect. Do everything that he asks you to do as well as you can. If you have a question, ask. If he wants you to take a sobriety test, do it. Refusal of a sobriety test can mean a hefty fine and could land you in jail. If they want to arrest you, go along with it. Don’t put the police officer(s) in a situation where they might hurt you. Goodness knows that you don’t want to be tasered or anything. It can really hurt to be tasered.

Second, you will be given a court date and probably a ticket if you have not already arrested. You will need to show up at court, whenever that might be and explain your reasons for driving drunk. It’s important not to lie to the judge, because the judge won’t like that and you can get in trouble for perjury, which isn’t fun either. Just be honest and hope that you have a good and fair judge. It doesn’t hurt to be good to the jury, that is, if you have one.

Then you get to spend anywhere from three days to three months in jail, and that’s just for the first offense. They don’t generally like people that drive while intoxicated, especially if you have children in the car with you. If it isn’t your first offense, you could be looking at more time in jail. This could be anywhere from one month to a whole year in jail.

After that, you will need to pay the fine if you haven’t already. The government wants their money and in most cases, wants the money now. The money in most cases goes to the city where you got the ticket so that they can benefit. Now you may have your license suspended anytime from when you get the offense to a year or two, depending on your conviction.